Wednesday, September 1, 2010

This Is What I Drink: 66


40 Party feat. King Cobra + Colt 45

40's have always been a good tour novelty beverage. With Delaware and Pennsylvania's antiquated liquor laws (no buying booze in grocery or convenience stores, and rarely past 11 PM), it's nice to be able to walk into a 7-11 at 1 AM and buy forty ounces of crappy malt liquour. By "nice" I suppose I mean that it's cheap and is a good sleep-aid while you're sitting in the hotel room watching Iron Chef eating potato chips wishing Morimoto was cooking you some room service. Taste-wise, it's kind of hard to separate any of these malt liquors. For whatever reason I find King Cobra the least offensive, while I find Steel Reserve ultra-offensive. To me, King Cobra doesn't taste any worse than any cheap "actual beer", yet you still get the 6% alcohol content for $2 a bottle. This is a little bit o' change for a little bit o' buzz. For that reason I understand the trashiness and stigma of the 40. It's often the choice of the hobo. But whether it be grifting for free donuts and bagels or drinking 40's, the life of the indie rock band is sometimes the life of the hobo. At least we can afford to split the hotel room 7 ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment