Wednesday, September 15, 2010

This Is What I Drink: 72


Newcastle Brown Ale

Newcastle is one of those classic English beers we're all supposed to be in love with. That's not to say it's not a good beer, because it is, but it isn't a great one. I think when you compare it to Budweiser, Coors, or Miller, sure, it's much better because it actually has some interesting flavor to it. However, when you compare it to other countless American microbrew's versions of brown ales, it's really not anything special. Admittedly, the first time I tried it I was blown away by it, but that was early in my beer drinking career. Brown ales have a unique bitter flavor, and Newcastle is a pretty good base example of one. I also do not buy brown ales very frequently, so my flavor profile for them may not be perfect. When we played a show in Newcastle I was amused when our tour manager (also from Newcastle) said "nobody here actually drinks Newcastle." Fair enough, but whoever imports it has done a good job of creating a mystique behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment