Tuesday, September 28, 2010

This Is What I Drink: 80



Pint's Pub Lancer IPA (Real Ale)

So this is a very special beer in many ways. Pint's Pub in Denver is one of the few places in the country that currently makes what they call "real ale" which contains live yeast, is served by hand pumping, and presented to you at a balmy temperature of 50 degrees and with very low carbonation. The whole process is explained by them here, as it's a bit more complicated than I can adequately explain. That's also what that bottom picture explains. Anyway, this was a unique experience that was worth driving out of the way for. On a side note, this place also has one of the largest Scotch collections in the country, over 250 styles with some costing $800 per bottle I believe. As for the beer, it was really good. Warmer, less carbonated beer takes a little while to get used to, but I like its aesthetic. I've had hand pumped beer before, but this stuff certainly seemed like the real deal. It had that very "British" taste to it, which I feel like I can't explain fully, but it shared that warm bitterness and hoppiness that I've enjoyed in other "classic style" British IPAs. If you're looking for a taste of how most beer used to be, then this is the thing to try. Also because it tastes really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment