Wednesday, September 29, 2010

This Is What I Drink: 81



Pibb Xtra

This beverage used to go by the name of "Mr. Pibb" back in the day, but apparently Coca-Cola rebranded it to be "Pibb Xtra." First of all, I'm not sure how I feel about the name change. I feel like it's a bit too early 2000's to put an "x" on something just to make it seem cooler, and they did make that change in 2001 which makes sense. For those of you who have never had Pibb, it's a no shame in the game direct rip-off of Dr. Pepper by the folks at Coke. Pretty much every store brand in America has their own version of Dr. Pepper, so this isn't a surprising move to try to capitalize on a very popular flavor. Actually this fellow at Not Quite What the Doctor Ordered gives a pretty miraculous run-down of all the phony doctors out there. Quite a service I may say. Anyway, I don't really see Pibb Xtra all that much in this area, or maybe I just pretend not to notice it with so much DP around. For that reason I like it because it's a bit of a novelty for me. Pibb is a pretty good knockoff I suppose. It tastes enough like it's supposed to. I've never had a superior version to the imperial cane sugar Dr. Pepper however, so there's just no comparison. Just ain't nothing like the real thing.

1 comment: