Tuesday, September 14, 2010

This Is What I Drink: 71


V8

The most famous of the vegetable juices (popularized by the famous Campbell's soup co.), V8 is a fairly regular purchase for me on tour. It's just the kind of thing that makes you feel better about treating your body so terribly for the other 23.5 hours of the day when you aren't drinking V8. It's tough to get your daily intake of veggies on tour. Heck, it's pretty hard to get them while at home. So what are the famous eight vegetables? Tomato (making up 87% of the drink) followed by beets, celery, carrots, lettuce, parsley, watercress, and spinach. Sure, it's basically tomato juice, but the thought of getting just a little bit of those other healthy vegetables mentally enchances it all for me. Of course, as a child, I absolutely loathed the stuff. Drinking veggies? Yuck. My main complaint is that the "low-sodium" version of V8 is not quite as widely available in the convenience stores accross the US. A normal V8 has something like 35% of your daily sodium, while the other version is in the 20% range. Taste-wise I feel like there's not enough of a difference. They should just male regular V8 have lower sodium. Anyway, veggie juice of any sort is always a good low-calorie option. Way better than all those stupid sugary coffee drinks I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment