Friday, April 9, 2010

This Is What I Drink : 22



Hoppy Beers

Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA:

This is the beer I like to think about when talking about Delaware's famed Dogfish Head brewery. As I've mentioned before, the stronger the hop flavor in a beer, the more I usually like it. While they make this IPA in a 9% ABV version (and a 20%), I feel like this is the best example of a very drinkable but still delicious tasting beer. All other previous criticism of Dogfish goes out the window after having one of these (see Festina Peche) because it doesn't have many flaws. I just decided today that if I'm ever on death row and get a choice of a "last beverage" it might be a case of 60-minute IPA. Probably a bottle of bourbon too.

Legacy Brewing's Hoptimus Prime:

Besides the obviously cool name, this beer from Reading, PA also happens to be really good. At 9% alcohol, this puts Mr. Hoptimus into the category of "double IPA." Anything that is "double" pretty much means "higher alcohol." This can sometimes be bad if the alcohol takes over the flavor profile, but that's definitely not the case with this beer. It actually tastes surprisingly mild and not overly hoppy. It's definitely one of the more drinkable and less intense high alcohol IPAs that I've had the privilege of trying. Though part of me misses that intensity. I think intense flavors keep me interested in a beer. Anyway, the picture I took of H-Prime also reminded me that Duke won the basketball tournament, and that's a bummer.

1 comment:

  1. Total agreement with Hoptimus Prime. I would argue that the 90 minute IPA reigns supreme in Dogfish IPAs, though. "Drinkable" makes me think of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LWSujLz7kw

    ReplyDelete