Thursday, May 27, 2010

This Is What I Drink : 37


Diet Pepsi

I'd say this is a bit of an oddball entry for me. I haven't been in to diet sodas in a long time. For the most part, if I want something that has zero calories, I'll just drink some water or unsweetened iced tea. If I get the craving for soda, I'll just go for pro and get the sugary full calorie version. However, my dad pretty much exclusively drinks diet soda, so whenever I'm over at his house I get a strange craving for it. A lot of times he has the weird flavored ones too. Diet Pepsi with cherry or lime or whatever, but this time it was just the standard flagship product.

I actually find it really hard to describe exactly what a diet cola tastes like. The basic flavor is very familiar to me, but I can't really explain it. Diet sodas "taste like diet." It's a really funny phrase, but that's what fake sugar will do, it creates its own category. I believe Diet Pepsi uses the "aspartame" sweetener, which was pretty standard for a while, but has been challenged by Stevia and Splenda recently. Anyway, the diet beverage market is a pretty huge category, but there's something unsettling about it for some reason. Drinking all the fake stuff may keep the calories away, but still can't imagine that it's great for you in other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment